Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I attempted a curious challenge recently. Perhaps this challenge needs a bit of background. Even all the way back to my days as a Radio-Television-Film major at UT. Although I have no idea why I even consider including Radio in that mix. I have never, nor do I ever envision working in radio. It's not that I would say no if I was offered a talk show but, like my hair coming back in full, that's seriously doubtful. I guess I put in a little quality television experience. But salesman for airline television show isn't really what I consider the TV business, but at least its on the periphery or maybe the bleachers of the television ballpark?

Mainly I studied film - production and screenwriting. Analytical and Creative at the same time. And I've sort of maintained a duality when it comes to those two things. However, over the course of the last 5 months I have been writing two lengthy items each one taking the efforts of one side of the brain and the other, well, the other side of the brain. A script and a strategy report. I was seriously concentrating on the script since the beginning of the fall, but had to put it aside when I began writing the strategy report. It was very difficult for me to concentrate on one, if the other was not very far out of my mind.

But this week I had a meeting on Tuesday about the script -well, at least what I've written so far - and today, Wednesday, I had two meetings concerning my report - which is about 80% complete and will be published in the next week or two. I began to get nervous about the fact that it had been a couple of months since I worked on the script and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to remember where I was, and where the story was going. I've had a lot of meetings the past few months, but this one was different. This one made me a bit nervous because it would involve feedback. K and I have been developing this story for a while and I've been writing the thing in various shapes and forms for the past two years. My previous 2 feedback sessions were positive and I was hoping this one would be too. And it was. The only way it could have gone better was if I walked away with a check. Didn't happen, but I do think I might be able to get financing to finish the story in the next couple of months. So you know, I bought myself a pair of fur-lined boots after that meeting. Of course.

And then today I met with the director of the Finnish Tourism Board to introduce him to my report, inside of which I mention the Finnish Tourism Board as a natural partner - and consequently, financier - to a lot of the strategies I will be putting forth. And he was totally into it. Later in the day I met with a guy to assist me with the business, meaning financial, aspects of my recommendations and that meeting went really well too.

Funny, when I think of the nerves that I have had lately it all revolves around receiving feedback for things I've written. I've been isolated and working on this report for so long, that when it actually comes time to make my opinions public, I get serious butterflies. But so far, those butterflies have been pretty okay,

Holy shit I should never had written any of that. I am totally going to eat it! Oh well, if I didn't write it, what the hell else would I say? It's cold? Dark? Snowy? Yeah, I've never touched on any of those subjects, huh? But seriously, it did get hella cold last week and it snowed a lot.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?