Tuesday, November 18, 2003

I seem to be a bit of a cash cow these days, with the new job and the letter I received from the unemployment agency that I will receive unemployment from the day I applied - 10.14.2003 until I start the new job. Apparently my reason for leaving my last job was determined satisfactory enough to receive unemployment benefits. You won't catch me complaining one bit. All this combined with the fact that my tax rate is considerably less than I thought it would be, 28%. I suppose I was thinking it would be closer to 50%, but again, you won't catch me complaining.

Another potential stroke of luck is the fact that while signing the contract for this new position, the director laid out his thoughts about a renegotiation at the end of February for an extension. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself here, but that would be a welcome negotiation, one in which I would ask for several weeks vacation to be taken this spring and next winter. I don't plan on missing many more Thanksgiving dinners at home.

speaking of Thanksgiving dinner, we are having some 10-20 people over this weekend for a Thanksgiving party, without the turkey, stuffing, broccoli casserole, sweet potato casserole or whatever new dish gets added to the menu. I think we'll be offering our guests, chips and dip and plenty of booze. A real family-style event. I wish we had a video camera so I could set it up all inconspicuous like and film the festivities as they happen. This is one party for which I will set my expectations very low, in order to exceed them, or at the very least, meet them.

I'm about to go buy an alarm clock; the one we have definitely has terrorist connections. It strikes fear into the hearts of ordinary people with it's blaring noise that is something cross between the radio and an alarm. This is a far cry from the alarm clock we had in Brooklyn, one with the sounds of the ocean that start off soft and increase volume gradually. Who the hell prefers to wake up thinking that they are under attack rather than thinking that you dozed off while relaxing at the beach?

Switching subjects to television. We watched this show last night that may have been the most depressing thing I've ever seen. Man's crazy wife kicks him out, takes children, he gets fired and on and on and on. My question is this, Why show this depressing shit right when winter is beginning? Why remind your audience, as they escape the routine of their normal lives just how miserable things can be. As if the lack of sun wasn't enough, I need my television programs to kick me in the head? Why not show episodes of summer in the winter to remind people what it is like, because winter here can take away those memories pretty quickly. And then in the summertime, when people are happy and all Swedish-like, then get them depressed, when the depression won't last more than the show itself. I think TV programmers are to blame for the state of depression here in the winter time. Maybe I will do study of TV programming linked to national happiness, or mood or whatever you call it.

I'm going to get my hair cut today, first time in a couple of months. Definitely the first time in Joensuu. I'm just hoping to find a salon where the person speaks just enough English to do the job. I'd hate to have some smiling jackass ruin what is left of my hair. Although I did stop using Rogaine when I moved and have not noticed a difference at all, what a rip-off in addition to the embarrassment of having to go out and get it. Yeah, I'll be taking this Rogaine and ah, yeah these condoms.

On that note, I leave you to plow through the ice, which has returned. Kind of missed it, at least everything is now white instead of grey.

hbcold again





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?