Monday, November 24, 2003

The snow has been coming down like crazy. I don't think that we will be able to ride our bikes into town much anymore, it's just too brutal. Fortunately the bus stops very close to our house, not so close to the office, but close enough. Walking in the city is easier than biking through the forest trails.

K and I went for a walk yesterday (Sunday - Sunnuntai) at around 4 pm and it was completely dark outside, except for the snow on the ground which lent the scenery a very eiree quality. We walked to the lake which is only a five to ten minute walk away from our house and I swear we could have been on another planet. The lake had a thin layer of ice covering it so that essentially the horizon was nothing but white, going up into space. The sky was slightly pink at the corners and dark in the middle. The perfect environment for a spacecraft to land, or for vampires to call home. Always thinking about the film job now, and these are definitely to genres of film that could do very well here.

We both need to get better gloves and socks and I need to get a winter hat and some better boots, ones with some fur inside & I also need a heavy duty hat. My winter caps that I have will not cut it here. Everything else is very warm. My coat is crazy hot. I could have a tank-top on underneath it and I would still be quite cozy.

It's going to be funny to go back to Helsinki and Turku in a few weeks, seeing how those places are warmer than Joensuu and everyone we know has a car so we won't have to bear the elements. It will be nice to see everyone again. I hope to be able to have a large gathering. I could use a party with good friends as opposed to the get to know you party that we had here the other night. No complaints, mind you, but still, there is a difference.

Oh, I'm teaching a class for K next week. She's bogged down with a lot of lesson planning and this class is teaching English in a business environment. I'm a little nervous about this one, as I am about the independent film courses I'll be teaching in Feb, but that's at least a subject that I like to talk about and I have an idea of what I will be teaching. What the hell do I know about business English? Have you read this journal? My grammar sucks, and it's bad too. Not to mention the fact that I have no idea how to spell. But fake it till you make it as Daniel Sunshine once said to me. I intend to.

good night.
hb





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?