Wednesday, November 26, 2003

Two things:

1. Women should never talk on the phone and try to do anything else. I'm sure this sounds a little sexist, but I'll be damned if everytime I see a woman on the phone while attempting to ride her bike she doesn't cause an accident. I was not involved in one, but on my way home from the basketball game tonight (which was hugely entertaining) I was behind this girl, who while riding her bike along the dimly lit trail, with a gusting wind blowing 15 degree weather in her face, was talking on the phone. She was swerving in and out of her side of trail (which is not very wide at all) which made it impossible for me to pass her. Finally, I saw an opening and I took it.

I guess it must be a Finnish thing; being able to withstand the severe cold and to talk on the phone. An ear needs to be exposed to hear anything, right? If my ear was without cover for 10 seconds I would be afraid that it would fall off. Today I went to the CityMarket to remedy that problem - the ear in the weather, not the girl on the phone. I bought a new pair of gloves, leather ones with fur on the inside (Sorry Vegies, but it's really stinking cold here and synthetic just won't cut it). I also got a new cap, one with reinforced ear guards and flaps for the cheeks that snaps under the chin. They have designer ones with real rabbits fur on the inside, but reinforced synthetic works for the ears, but not the fingers. Next up, boots and lots and lots of wool socks.

OK, number 2.

I am now a big fan of the Kataja Basketball Team, Joensuu's local club. Today's game against one of the best teams in the league was a blast. Kataja won with 1.2 seconds left on the clock and the crowd was really rowdy for the first time in the 5 games that I have attented. Kataja was up by 20 at the half and then started to let the game slip away so that the opposing team took their first lead of the game with 2 minutes left. It went back and forth and I thought the game was lost with 17 seconds left, when down by 1, the opposing team was at the free throw line. This is where I come in.

The crowd was in a state of shock at what had just transpired and no one was making any noise. The player would shoot two baskets and could really make a comeback difficult if he sank both. So amidst the relative calm, I shouted, "You suck, Kimi! Miss it!" And then everyone joined in with the Finnish version, of course. The crowd became so rowdy it was almost as if they served beer at the game. No alcohol, only coffee and candy, which makes for a less than rowdy arena, but is safer for everyone involved, if you know any North Karelian Finns. Well anyway, Kimi missed the first shot and everyone roared. He made the second shot and with 15 seconds left, Kataja tied the score. And finally, with 1.2 seconds on the clock, Kataja's best player was fouled and he made both shots.

This was the first game that I have been to where the game was closely played until the end. The other games were blowouts, which are fun, unless you are a fan of the other team. And the best part happened on the ride home; with new gloves and a new cap I was as cozy as one can get while riding through the dark, freezing cold trapped behind a crazy inferno woman swerving and talking at the same time.

Hey, Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I miss you all.

hb





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?