Thursday, December 04, 2003

I had my first lesson in teaching last night and that lesson is, prepare next time. I think that the preparation that I did consumed all of 30 minutes of the 3 hour class. The remaining 150 minutes were spent in feeble attempts to get the class talking.

"What's your favorite movie? Oh yeah, mmm... I didn't see that one, waiting for the DVD to come out with English subtitles." Followed quickly by the time consuming, "OK, what about television, what's your favorite night of TV? Oh, you don't really watch TV, OK, so does anyone have any questions that they would like to ask me?"

Yup, next time I think I will bring in a little bit more to work with. Not that it was entirely painful, the last hour or so was filled with decent conversation about the winter time and how pretty soon the whether will drop to minus 30 degrees and the snow on the ground will approach close to 4 feet. But, they tell me it's quite lovely.

One of the students in the class (adult students) is a reporter for the North Karelia newspaper and he wants to write a two page feature story on me and my work and ideas for the East Finland Film Commission. I will send copies to whoever wants one, but even I won't be able to read it.

The job is going quite well. I'm trying to create a formula to involve students from all over the area in our location scouting project. We need to create a photo library of possible film locations in the region, which is too large for us to do on our own, and since one of the goals of the commission is to educate the area, I think utilizing students as our photographic work force will be advantageous to all parties.

Gotta grab some lunch.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?