Monday, January 19, 2004

Good News / Bad News

Yesterday, with Arun and Laura and K, we walked along the waterfront trails that encircle the town. It was about 2pm and the sun was just beginning to disappear behind the ever-drooping fog, and this created a soft, cotton-like white sky. We finished our circle and made for home, taking the shortcut - across the lake. I've never felt more like I wasn't on the earth than when we were 100 meters out onto the lake.

Flat, covered with snow and reaching out as far as the eye could see, the fluffy surface or the lake blended with the milky cotton of the sky creating an illusion that felt like we were in a painting - on a canvass that had yet to be touched. Off in the distance, black figures could be seen floating into and out of the fog. It was as beautiful a sight as I remember seeing and certainly the most unique landscape I have ever been apart of or witnessed.

Bad News - My camera is out of batteries and so there were no pictures. This is something that must be fixed. Laura had a little camera, so it will be documented, but I'm still a little pissed.

Funny thing about having visitors, I feel like I live here now. I guess being the fresh fish in the water ends when some even fresher fish come swimming into town. As we walked around the market and around town, I realized that these people need me to show them around and to help them get through the day to day things, like buying socks at the market from a country-Finn who speaks no English. My knowledge of the numbers was all that was necessary and I had a strong wish that I spoke more Finnish.

*Note on this...I begin my Finnish classes today. Mondays and Wednesdays from 5-6:30, until April. This is good, but my basketball group will be playing at 6:30 on Mondays and Wednesdays, which means I need to be wearing my basketball gear to class - not the biggest deal in the world, but still there will be some rushing involved.






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?