Thursday, January 22, 2004

Kuka sinä olet? Minä olen Howard Brodsky. Minä asun Joensuussa. Hauska tutustua. Nakemiin.

Who are you? I am Howard Brodsky. I live in Joensuu. Nice to meet you. Good-bye.

Two lessons and look at the progress! And I think my spelling is correct to boot.

I was told yesterday by Pekka that I will be on the planning committee for the Anthropolgical Film Festival that we will be having here in Joensuu in October. Although my meeting with the project director - regarding my future - is not until tomorrow, I feel pretty good about my long term role here at the EFFC.

About the festival, I've been researching American universities that offer a Visual Anthropology degree in order to expand cooperation and make this festival a real event. Apparently the Nordic Anthropological Film Association has been gathering for 24 years and we are to be continuing those gatherings here in Joensuu and in the guise of a film festival. I am pretty excited about this and I think it could be a real interesting event.

One problem and perhaps an area where I can be of assistance is in the collaboration of sponsors and thinkers. Pekka, the guy who is in charge of the anthropological film society here in Finland told me yesterday that everyone who he deals with, he winds up fighting with and calling them names. That being said, he has never had the support that he would like - maybe it's because instead of negotiating, he calls them assholes and leaves the room - his words.

I was teaching an English class last night for K. I've been with this group before and one of the students is a reporter for the regional newspaper Karjalainen. Last time we spoke he mentioned the possibility of doing a story on me as part of their - unique people in the region - segment of the weekend edition. Last night he asked if I was still interested and I said yes. Hopefully it will bring more publicity to the film commission than to yours truly, but you never know. I am pretty excited about this, but I will need K to translate for me.






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?