Friday, January 23, 2004

There must be something in the air. Last night's basketball game was easily the most physical game thus far, I even got into a bit of a shouting match with one of the guys, Timo. He was throwing elbows and hooked me a couple of times when he had the ball and I was guarding him, so of course that made me play him more physically, which then led him to play a little rougher. I guess he was also pissed because my shot was on and I was having fun, while he was having a bad game. Hee-hee. When I say shouting match, I basically mean we actually talked a little trash, nothing more than that, but when there is no talking going on at all, even a little bit seems like a fight.

I think I may have made a poor choice to even play in the game, considering I caught a cold the day before and I think I may have done more harm than good with the exercise - although at the time I thought that a little exercise would do me good. Oh well, I made it this long through the winter without getting sick, maybe I'm due. Just a head cold and considering how cold it's been these past few days -22°C (do it with me now *9/5+32=-7.6°F) and that's been the high temperature today and yesterday. I think that's one of the reasons the game was so physical, everyone feels a little crazy with the cold.

Good news today! I had my meeting with Jenni, the project director at the EFFC and she gave me her support and said that she is ready to extend my contract until the end of the year. I will work out the details with Lasse next week, but I will be gainfully (is it gainfully or gamefully?) employed throught 2004, which makes me happy. It also means that this year I will be travelling on the company's dime to some pretty cool places.

Regarding travel plans, K and I unfortunately have different plans in May. She is going to be attending a film camp in Estonia for the first two weeks of May and at the same time, I will be in Rome and attending the Cannes Film Festival. And while I'm sure that Estonia will be fun, I try not to talk too much about Rome and Cannes, because it's just not that fair. I do hope that in the future, K will be able to join us as a member of the team. She would be good to have as a spokesperson when we travel to other countries, especially considering the other people in the group can be rather dull.

Oh, there is a premiere of the Dog Clipper next Saturday, which could be a great time, except for the premiere itself, as it will be in Finnish. I just hope I stay awake through the movie. It should give me a good idea of the kinds of films that this area can support, but still - 2 hours with no subtitles and probably a drink or two in my system before going in to watch the movie - yup snoresville.

In case you think that I may be able to stay up, let me tell you what the hell this movie is about...In a nutshell, a war veteran goes crazy and spends his days clipping the nails of dogs and pondering about life. You know those commercials that depict foreign films as crying clowns standing next to a four-post bed on the beach with cats running around? That's what I think I'm in for, except this is going to be with dogs, and dog's nails and a dude clipping them. Pure unadulterated entertainment I tell you.

OK, gotta run and cook some dinner - steaks and chilli sweet potatoes. I just hope I can taste it. Nothing worse than having a good meal that you only allow yourself every so often and not being able to taste it. Considering my sinuses right now I should be eating brussel sprouts and buckwheat.

Lots of love and all that other stuff.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?