Thursday, February 12, 2004

Coldest day of the year by far! It was a balmy minus 28 degrees C (*9/5+32= -19 F) this morning on the walk to work - and by walk I mean from the bus stop to the front door of Science Park (where the office is) - and I had the longest, most painful brain freeze of my life. Now normally brain freeze happens when the body encounters a cold stimulant usually ingested orally - either ice cream, or ice tea, anything cold that overpowers the senses and causes a minor malfunction.

Well this was brain freeze by osmosis and there was only about 2 cheeks, a nose and a chin of my body exposed to the cold. My face is still tingling and I have been inside for more than 15 minutes now. How the hell do people get used to this? How the hell do they ride their bikes in this cold? I don't know if you can ever get acclimated to something like this. And just so I know, I'm lucky, this winter has been exceptionally warm. For example, last winter the temperature was regularly this cold and colder still on a normal basis.

And to make matters worse, every morning I like to read the Dallas Morning News on the web and resting in the right corner of the screen is the five day forecast and it's always in the 50's...That is almost 70 degrees warmer than what is going on here in Siberia, I mean Joensuu, I mean home. Man.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?