Wednesday, February 11, 2004

So some good news on the idea regarding the basketball documentary I was thinking about when I first arrived, and the good news is...I've finally gotten off my ass.

I placed a few communiques with the Finnish Film Foundation and received some positive feedback. The FFF is the funding entity for most every film/documentary/short film in Finland. They also provide some development funds for the initial research portion of the project.

I also attempted to get in touch with the local American basketball player and he got in touch with me today. I'm hoping to have a meeting with him and talk about the project. Ideally I would begin filming in the summer, before the season starts, when he is back in the States. I think it would be cool to see him in his state-side environment and also allow me to get some interviews from family and friends. And then watch as his environment changes.

The only problem that I think will arise with this is the fact that this is not new to him, that this change of scenery will not be as intense because it will be familiar. I will need to find a newbie sometime during the season and follow them around for a week to get the "Oh my god" aspect of the cultural shock.

Maybe I'll juxtapose my own basketball league with the professional one. See how the other half lives, or plays rather.

I hope the meeting goes well. If I can come to an agreement with a subject then I can truly package the idea for financial assistance.

So I think my wife is going a little stir crazy. She spent all last week in a hospital, sharing a room with a ninety year old woman who breathed louder than...well, I can't really think of anything, but she breathed really loudly. And now she has been in the house since Friday. Her mother was here until Sunday, but that's 3 days now where she has spent all day, everyday in the house. She goes out for a walk, but when it's this cold out, it doesn't really relax you. I think I will rent the movie Stir Crazy this week for her (although I wonder if it is available here).

Other bits and pieces:

We begin to play basketball in the newly constructed $12M Arena next week and that should be exciting.


I leave you with this piece of advise from an old friend.

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run. You never count your money, when you're sitting at the table. There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealing's done.

I think that just about says it all.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?