Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Lately there has been a low-hanging haze around the residential areas of Joensuu. At first I thought it was my eyes playing tricks on me, or they simply wouldn't focus. It made no sense that, in a town this size, there would be any type of visable pollution. But this haze was different from the smog that plagues Los Angeles or Dallas or any other big city; this haze smelled nice. Finally, I realized that this haze was eminating from the hundreds of wood-burning saunas that have returned to life with the oncoming Spring.

Riding home from basketball at 8:30, with the sun just beginning to set and a clouds of sweet smelling smoke resting on top of the trees is a very peaceful environment. Sure it's still only in the 40's here and there is still a lot of snow on the ground and my rear bike wheel is warped and needs to be replaced, but all in all Spring is in the air...and I can smell it.

Speaking of basketball, we have been playing like we will never get to play again. With two more games intended for tomorrow and Thursday, we will have played 9 times in 2 weeks. I haven't played basketball this often since I was in junior high school and would go to Huffines Rec Center 4 or 5 times a week. Secrectly, I wish some of these guys would get a chance to sample the type of ball and attitude that is present at the Rec. I don't know if they would survive.






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?