Thursday, April 01, 2004

OK, so remember when I used to go on and on about how warm -5 (*9/5 +32 = 21F) degrees was? Well today -5 degrees felt like -5 degrees and it felt cold.

And oddly enough on a day as cold as today, it was readily evident that Spring is in the air and that the Winter is coming to an end - even though there are still dunes of snow that reach nearly 15 feet into the air. We moved the clocks ahead a couple of days ago, but today was the first day since that the sun came out to play, and just like that we had daylight until 8:30pm.

Also, our bedroom and kitchen windows face due East, so that when the sun is out it warms the place up a little and it feels great, but our outdoor thermometer is on kitchen window and it shows a very deceiving little temperature. It is regularly 5-10 degrees off, depending on whether the sun is shining or not and this morning it was a significant difference. To make a long story short, it was really chilly today.

Good news / bad news on the job

Good news, it looks very likely that I will be heading to Rome and Cannes in about a month and let me tell you, I like it. For a while it was sketchy and even up until a few days ago our travel arrangements were in the air. In the past two days though we have been able to decide on the arrangements and now we just need to get the tickets and the hotel rooms.

Bad news, my basketball documentary hit a snag today. My main subject, who had already agreed to be the main focus of the story and who told me that he was rather positive that he would stay in Joensuu next season (he has played for the local team since he first arrived in Joensuu, more than 4 years ago, well you might guess where this is headed...) he's moving to another team next season, to Porvoo, near Helsinki. So, I need to wait until the next American comes my way and in the meantime, I will work on the general story and plug in the central character when I find one. I'm not too concerned about this, I feel pretty confident that I will be able to find a willing participant, but this means that Hawaii is out.

Good news, Karoliina's brother, Antero, his girlfried, Jenni and two buddies, Ero and Petri will be coming over this weekend and we will all spend Saturday at Ero's lakehouse here in East Finland. I'm looking forward to getting out in nature, not that I don't live in the country or anything, but I mean really in the country.

Bad news, I could find myself in a sticky spot and a cold sticky spot at that. Karoliina and I were watching a tv show of people ice dipping and Karoliina chimed in with the fact that we could be doing that this weekend. I know I said I would do it, but that was when it was like -20 degrees and hopping into a lake that is roughly +4 degrees would feel nice and warm, but this weekend is supposed to be like +7 and so the water will be a lot colder. That's a -3 degree change rather than a +16 degree change and I'm not a big fan of them numbers.

Oh yeah, none of this is true. April Fool's!

Ha! Got you again, April Fool's on that April Fool's.

OK, seriously. Hey, is that a spider on your shoulder?!

Sucker.






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?