Monday, May 03, 2004

A few words about Vappu. I am glad it is over. For the past few weeks Karoliina and I have been about as healthy as I can remember being in quite a while. No alcohol for more than 3 weeks, regular exercise - be it basketball, weight lifting, or classes - a healthy diet and getting enough rest. Then, in the course of 2 1/2 days, all that went down the toilet.

We began our celebration on Thursday night. Anneli was in town and we went out to dinner and had some drinks later on. I didn't think that I had too many beers, but Friday morning I realized that, obviously, I did. The good thing for me on Friday was the fact that at 1:30 worked stopped and we all went to the river bar and sat in the sun and drank.

I want to mention sitting in the sun because of two reasons: 1. It was wonderful to sit outside and be warm and 2. I sat with the sun on one side of my face and now that side of my face is red and the other side of my face is not.

I was supposed to do a great many things on Friday, but I only got around to doing 2. 1 I drank and 2 I fell asleep as soon as I got home. I was planning on going back out to town after I had something to eat, but I never got off the couch.

Other interesting facts about Vappu. And for this I take you back to the Bruce Springstein concert Karoliina and I went to last July in Giants Stadium. With an announced crowd of over 50,000 I told Karoliina that this was as many people as in the entire city of Joensuu. Well, this weekend all those people were out and about and drinking. The weather was perfect and the town was quite lively. We spent the rest of Saturday drinking and eating and then we hit the sauna.

Sunday morning rolls around and I realized something else. I will not be drinking much this summer. Our bedroom gets too much sun way too early in the morning and this makes our bedroom very hot. I don't think there is a worse way to spend a morning hangover than in a hot bed, with no hopes of cooling off.

The sun has started to shine in our room at around 4:45 every morning. I wake up at 5:30 and I think it is 7:30 and then have a very difficult time getting back to sleep. I can only sleep in one direction and even then the room is still very bright. Think Al Pacino in "Insomnia". I think we will be buying some darker curtains very soon. Or at least those sleep masks.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?