Tuesday, June 15, 2004

I would like to extend a thank you to British Airways for the little sleep package they provide to all their overseas passengers. Included in that package is one of those sleep masks that you wear to block out the light. Well at 4 am this morning Karoliina and I went searching for our masks luckily we found them quickly and were able to get another few hours of sleep.

Funny thing about this sleep situation. Let me start off by saying that, under normal circumstances, there is no greater feeling than waking up at 2 am and thinking that it is really 7 and then realizing that you have another 5 hours to sleep. And when I say normal circumstances I mean that it still feels like 2 in the morning (i.e. it is dark out). Well, since Sunday night I have gotten up from a decent sleep no less than 4 times thinking that my sleepy time was at an end and the day was about to begin. Each time I was wrong. But the thing is, at 4 am it is extremely bright in the room and it really feels like 7 am or 8 or 9 even and this makes it much more difficult to get back to sleep, hence the gratitude towards British Air.

I think that I am gradually ridding myself of this jetlag and in the process I have discovered something, going East is harder than going West. Also I have discovered that it is easier to sleep in the dark than in the light. Also, I have discovered that I hate mosquitoes more now than I have ever hated anything in my life. I just with Samuel were around to make them somewhat enjoyable, "Skeetoos, go away from Howie!" Speaking of skeetoos, we are about to go to Skeetoo heaven this weekend. I hope to come back with at least some of my skin still on my body and not trapped underneath my fingernails. All right, I seem to get bogged down with the insect discussion. I promise not to turn this blog into a one-trick pony, but did I mention the bugs?

So back at the job now and not a lot has changed, kind of the way it was when going back to Nederlander. The more things changed here for me, the more they stayed the same there for them, and I take a certain comfort in that. It was as surreal coming back to this tiny town of Joensuu and resuming my life now as it was hanging out on Houston Street thinking about my life a year ago.

I want to give the blow-by-blow of the trip, but I don't have the patience to sit down and do it right now, I'd rather blabber on about nothing. Except for the fact that it was really wonderful to see everyone again and aside from the hours of time we spent in airports in London and in Helsinki, I wouldn't change a thing. Well, maybe I would not have done so much shopping, but whaddayougonnado?






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?