Monday, June 14, 2004

I'm a little exhausted right now so there's a decent chance that I will fall asleep on the keyboard as I write. There's also a pretty decent chance that I may sound a bit delirious and that's because I am. K and I returned last night at 9pm although from the looks of it, it could very well have been 6. It might not seem like summer yet on the ground, but in the sky it was the middle of June. Right now it is rainy and cool, like in the 50's, and there a swarms of mosquitoes everywhere.

Well we got in last night and all the stores were closed so we had no food, just a couple of cans of tuna and some water. So now I've got to go to the store and buy just about everything. And then we need to unpack, do laundry and then pack up again because we are off to Lapland on Friday for the Midnight Sun Film Festival.

Some quick things about our trip in New York (I will do a more detailed version of this later, but for right now here's a few things that stood out): I had the most unbelievable streak of subway luck in my life and no matter how many times I mentioned it (and there were many, many times) it never was jinxed. From Wednesday evening until Friday night I never waited more than 10 seconds for the subway to come and I must have taken the subway 12-15 times during that span. And to top it all off, the streak even converted to taxis as well. Late Friday we were on Houston and 2nd Avenue and needed to get to the Upper West Side for late-night drunken pizza at Big Nick's (a helluva discovery by the way) and then off to bed at hotel Appelbaum. Well from 1st street until 79th street on 3rd Avenue we did not miss a light. I was freaking out the whole time...79 lights in a row! Are you kidding me? When we turned onto 3rd Ave I saw nothing but green and it never changed. I think I may have gotten on Karoliina's nerves a little bit, but damn, she just didn't understand the magnitude of this accomplishment. Not that I had anything to do with it, but when you're riding a streak of public transportational luck like I was riding, everything is because of the streak, everything.

I will get into the family, friends and food stories a little later, but I just had to get this one off my chest before I pass out and can no longer remember it.

Oh yeah another interesting fact before I go, on the flight from London to Helsinki our row of three people were all UT alum.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?