Tuesday, June 29, 2004

This is my 100th post, so I will try to make it a good one. I was writing about the weekend at the summer cottage yesterday when I had to go and watch several long, boring, ethnographic documentaries; and this is harder than it sounds.

Well anyway, the cottage was about an hour's drive away from Joensuu and it was on a beautiful and very large lake. Unfortunately, this place is not visited regularly so there have not been any improvements or renovations. The boats were in disarray and the lawn, as I mentioned yesterday, reminded me of one of those houses you see where you know either the people have left or something is really wrong with them, because they have not cut the grass in months and eventually the city sends someone out there to do the job. Well in this scenario, I was the person that the city sent out. Enough about the lawn work, let's talk about the dishes.

Now I've lamented the fact that Karoliina and I have not had a dishwasher in many, many years, and yes this is a sore spot and one that needs immediate attention, but at least we have had running water. Doing dishes without running water is one annoying task - especially when cooking for 4 people and not using paper plates and cups. Also when the sink pipes are broken rendering the sink and drain useless, it can add to the frustration. So the first morning K and I took a couple of buckets, filled with semi-clean water, down to the lake and K kept the mosquitoes off of me as I washed them. I think she may have suffered a few bites in the process, but she should never have worn a tank-top in that situation - too much flesh for the bugs to resist.

Also, there is not as much motivation for staying clean when there is no running water. So I spent minimal time with soap over the weekend, and I think I still have a lingering scent of disgustingness on me. But, all in all it was an enjoyable and relaxing weekend. However, yesterday, while playing basketball in an un-air-conditioning gym I was suffering from several weeks of food and drink with not a lot of exercise in the equation. Why is it that it takes me months to get into decent shape and days to fall right back out of shape? I wish I could sustain it for a while, without having to go through the process of it all. It's the process that stinks, I like the end result.

Well, 100 was way over-rated if you ask me. I think the pressure got to me. Back to the old drawing board.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?