Monday, June 28, 2004

What is it about doing nothing that is so exhausting? Whatever it is, it's on me and everyone else for that matter. Ask me what I did this weekend. I did nothing. We spent Thursday evening, all day Friday, all day Saturday and Sunday morning at the summer cottage near-bye with friends Mari, Greg and their baby Niilo and I am completely wiped out. Karoliina and I have not been home, alone on a weekend since May 1, and that was May day in which everyone was partying. We spent all winter longing for some excitement and some distraction and now we can't seem to avoid excitement and distraction no matter what we do. I have a strange longing for winter already. Not really, but I would like to enjoy the summer here in Joensuu. Not that the weather is conducive to enjoyment - all rain, all the time. I'm serious, we may truly have to go to London in order to get some sunny, dry weather.

Back to this weekend. I mowed a lawn for the first time this decade, and maybe for the first time IN a decade. And this was no front lawn we're talking about here. This was a prairie that had not been mowed yet this year. A prairie that was a habitat all on its own - home to some 10,000 bugs - and a habitat I took great pleasure in utterly destroying. However, it was not without difficulties: an ancient mower, rain, and did I mention the bugs? Every few feet the engine on the mower would give out due to the massive workload and as the grass got more and more wet, it became more and more difficult to manage. But after an hour or so and a few blisters (I forgot that I should have worn gloves) we had some grass that I wasn't afraid of and that is the way I like my grass.

I'll pick up later today...Gotta go and view some more films for the festival. One thing I learned after watching so many of these things, I gotta get off my ass and make a movie, cause if these things can get made, anything can get made.

hb hopeful





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?