Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Have you ever understood those people who are really in to Monster Metal? For those who may not be aware what Monster Metal is, it is when a band dresses up like monsters and plays heavy metal, usually with some sort of monster theme. Well backstage at the Air Guitar Competition last weekend I got a first-hand glimpse of the men and women behind the bloody masks, the furry capes, the wolf's head and mummy skin, and let me tell you, they were a bunch of nice guys.

Before the competition started there were crowds of kids dressed for Halloween, except these kids were ready to rock and not trick or treat. I knew we wouldn't stay for the concert, but I was hoping to see the band backstage before we left. As the contestants were performing their air routine and as we watched from backstage a group of monsters crept up behind us. Karoliina turned around and screamed. Behind me was a mummy with no face and a mouth dripping with gross. After the initial shock I decided to talk with him. I told him that I don't speak much Finnish and he replied, in English, that that was not necessary.

So our conversation went something like this...

"Do you like to perform in the summer or winter?"

"Winter, these costumes get too hot in the summer"

"How long have you been in the band?"

"Four years, I was glad when Lordi called" (Lordi is the name of the lead singer, and the name of the band - he designs all the costumes and writes the songs)

"Did you ever imagine when you were growing up and wanting to be in a band, that you would have to dress like a zombie mummy?"

"No"

After that I grew tired of the mummy and wanted to speak with the main man of monster metal, Lordi, who sat alone and in darkness under the beer tent.

I approached him and began the same line of questioning. Once I felt comfortable enough to get personal, I asked him what his mother thinks of his presentation. He said that his mom is very proud of him and follows him everywhere. For a werewolf skull monster, Lordi sure was cute and friendly. I was talking about the meeting outside after the show and his publicist was listening in and dropped a Lordi double cd in my lap... I know what'll be playing at our next party..."The Hounds of Hell Return" that's what.

That was easily the highlight of the weekend, which also saw scandal at the judges booth. The votes were miscounted and the championship was wrongly awarded to Miri, the American champion rather than the New Zealander. The press release announced that they would share the award and the producer of the competition resigned in disgrace...I ask you, do these people take this thing a little too seriously? Maybe, just maybe. Still, K and I are already working on our routines for next year.

I got to hang with C-Diddy, the returning champ and my friend from New York. He had film crews following him everywhere and was not able to have a single conversation until well past 4am when the crew was too tired to keep working.

We all went to the karoke bar, where Karoliina forced me to sing the hardest song I have sang ever, The Scientist by Coldplay. It was the first time since high school choir when I used my falsetto in public, it wasn't pretty.

As always it was good to get out of J-town, but after a hectic festival schedule, J-town is a relaxing place to be.







<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?