Monday, October 04, 2004

I've decided against playing the game that begins this time of year in Finland. On this frosty morning, I threw in the towel and turned in my baseball hat for my winter wool cap. Who needs the competition? Not me. I'm sick of these Finns trying to outlast each other as the cold, cold, really, really cold, cold winter approaches. Who will be the first to break? Yours truly, thank you very much. Although, as I took to the main bike route through the forest, I noticed others had proclaimed this day, Mannantai, Lokakuu 4, as the day that they too would throw in the towel.

I also brought out all of my winter clothes and put my summer clothes back into storage and do you wanna know something? I don't have much clothing. I suppose it could be because here in J-town I don't really need to have a diversified wardrobe - save an ample supply of long underwear and wool socks - since I wear about two outfits per week. On a recent trip to Los Angeles and Las Vegas and later in Helsinki, I was in the fitting room trying on some pieces here and there and then it hit me...I have no need for this crap in J-town. It is both depressing and invigorating at the same time, since I get to save money, but with the realization that there is no need to look nice, so to speak. Let's face it, I look nice, but can do so in the same clothes that I have had since 2000.

What else is going on in J-town? The film festival wll begin this week, with the guests due to arrive as early as today. I am very curious how this whole thing will turn out as the organization and communication has been, to put it nicely, less than enthusiastic. It's unfortunate that this pissy weather is due to continue, because if you can't go outside and enjoy the natural beauty here, there is really nothing left to do.

Speaking of this pissy weather, it has totally ruined the fall flavor. Last year K was telling me how at this time the forest was vibrant as the leaves were changing from green to yellow and red. Well, because of the wet weather the leaves fell off the trees well before they were able to change color. So the ground looks pretty, but who spends their time looking at the ground? This makes two falls in a row that I have missed out on completely.

That reminds me, this Friday will mark my 52nd week here in J-town. I don't think that there is anything else to say after that. Except for the fact that this will be the second UT-OU match that I will miss. I would really love it if someone would record the game for me and send it to me here in Finland, provided that it is not a disgusting blow out.

Now that my mind is on sports, the basketball season picks up again next week and the J-town locals have added two new Americans to the team. I have met them on two occasions and they are nice enough guys. They asked me what it was like here in the winter and I told them. They asked me what there was to do here for fun and I told them. They asked me where the clubs were that played hip-hop and I told them. They asked me how I have been able to live here for one year and I told them. They asked me for my phone number and I hope that they will call.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?