Thursday, October 28, 2004

We are approaching the Dog Days here. It is not cold enough to snow, the sun makes very rare appearances and when it does show its face it lasts for only a few fleeting moments, and I think K and I are both going a little stir-crazy. However, all is not lost. This weekend K has a friend coming in and I will be out and about with some of my basketball buddies. The following weekend we will head to Turku for Bjorn's 30th birthday. I must say that I am really looking forward to having almost all of our friends in one place - albeit for one night only. And then the following weekend we will be joining some work colleagues for a night of theatre, J-town style. I have no idea what theatre J-town style is exactly, but it should prove quite entertaining, even though the performance of "Mobile Horror" will be in Finnish. But with a title like "Mobile Horror" it shouldn't be too hard to follow along. After that we settle in for a month of Holiday parties and then make our way to Texas for 3 weeks of Texas.

I was talking about this 3 weeks in Texas thing with someone recently and they brought up a good point that I will choose to ignore from this point onward. I was telling of my excitement to go from the Finnish winter to the Texas winter and how wonderful that will be, but I neglected to think about the inevitable return to the Finnish winter, 3 weeks further into its freeze. And I realized that upon our return, the winter here will seem all the more painful, even if we are a little numb with delight from our time in Texas. But truthfully, when we do return we will have a good 4 months of frost and this is something I refuse to think about. Sure I can write about it, but if you were to look at me right now you would see a zombie with a blank stare, a lifeless face, but curiously quick moving fingers.

Onto other topics. Ok that's about it.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I have been asked to have English discussions with "Finland's greatest living director" - some people call him the Francis Ford Coppola of Finland - who has moved to J-town to start a television series. He is friends with my boss, Jenni and asked her if I wouldn't mind meeting with him once a week, beginning next year to talk in English about movies and what not. Apparently he would like to improve his skills so that he would be comfortable speaking English in public, but doesn't want to have to go to classes with other people who would be quite startled to see him in their class. So I will become his private tutor. Pretty nuts, huh?






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?