Monday, November 08, 2004

Lately I have run into a bit of a problem and I don't think I am unique here, but K and I are running out of things to eat. We have an active menu of approximately 10-12 dishes and are getting into a bit of a rut. Sure, most of those 10-12 dishes are really good, which is why we eat them, but at the same time, a little something something every once in a while would be nice too.

We usually eat some sort of Italian pasta, whether it is a meat sauce, or a simple tomato sauce with mozzarella, and then some sort of Asian stir-fry, we're staying away from curry dishes lately because of the extra fat and calories of the coconut milk, we also have a Caesar salad and blackened chicken thing going on and after that, we fluctuate. Occasionally we will remember an old dish that we really like and can't believe that we could have forgotten about it, but then we will eat it too many times, too close together and remember how we did forget it in the first place. I suppose what I am getting at here is that I don't want to get burnt out on the dishes that we like, because when that happens we are in trouble. But the problem is, we have very limited options at the grocery store.

So in a beating around the bush sort of way, I guess I am asking for some suggestions. Please post some of your favorite meals that you make at home. Nothing too exotic or stuff that requires hard to find ingredients. I'll list one of our most recent favorites here - Sorry veggies, but this one has chicken:

Chicken Stir Fry

Cook white rice

Cook 1/2 cup of Chicken Broth and combine with a couple of doses of Seasoned Rice Vinegar

In another pan, heat olive oil over medium heat

Add - 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, minced and some crushed red pepper flakes - or chili oil, however hot you like it.

Add one box of mushrooms, cut into quarters and cook for a couple of minutes until the mushrooms get soft

Then add chicken breasts - I usually do 2 breasts (boneless and skinless) cut into small cubes

Let cook for 3 minutes

Add one red, or orange or yellow bell pepper sliced into thin strips

Let cook for another 2 minutes

Add one tablespoon of honey

Pour chicken broth - vinegar mixture into the stir-fry

Turn heat to low

Add 10 cherry tomatoes, crush them into the stir-fry using fingers

Add some Chinese Cabbage, or Bok Choy or something like that and cut into thin strips

Use cornstarch mixed with water as a thickening agent.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve over white rice.

I guess you could do the same without the Chicken and use Veggie Broth instead and add some broccoli or zucchini or some other veggie and do it meat free.

Something funny just happened. I was browsing my entries from last year and exactly one year ago today my post had everything to do with food. I gues this is the time of year where I think more about my stomach than most. I wonder if the moon has anything to do with it.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?