Tuesday, February 15, 2005

I've been trying to think of a way in which to describe the city of Berlin and I think I have settled on a couple of options. The first is that Berlin is a city that probably looks a lot better in the summer time. The second is that I will not be visiting Berlin in the summer to find out. Traveling on the company's dime is one thing, but with my own cash, no thanks. The food was lousy, the city was cold, and not just the temperature and I also caught a nasty cold while there. However, I would gladly return to Berlin for the Berlinale - or film festival. From that angle, Berlin was a really welcoming and productive place to be. Also, the beer wasn't bad.

Speaking of beer, I am simply amazed at the amount of partying that must be done while at these festivals. Every night, well afternoon, there was a happy-hour, followed by a beer tasting, followed by another happy-hour, where the object of the game is to get as many invitations to late night parties as possible. And then repeat the process over and over and over again, until you arrive back home and vow never to behave like that again. Except of course for the Monday meeting with Markku where more beer is required.

Fortunately, I was sick and so I stayed in the hotel more often than not, trying to get rid of the head cold that would not leave me alone. The remedy for this problem was simple Finnish logic - hit the sauna, then the pool and then drink some beer. Strange as it may sound, this worked brilliantly.

It rained every day we were in Berlin except one and on that day I was able to run around the city. I took a couple of pictures, ate some Greek food in the Turkish village and then found myself back in the sauna in preparation for the night's activities.

I have a couple of weeks until the trip to Russia which should be as painful as a 10 hour bus ride in a bus filled with smelly rock musicians can possibly be. I need a good book and some nose plugs.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?