Monday, February 07, 2005

Yup, another Super Bowl Sunday, except that it is Monday at present. The game starts in just about 10 minutes, so 12:30 am Monday morning, the absolute perfect time for the game to begin. My plan is to stay up and watch the first half-hour, hoping that the game will be decided and then I can rest easy. Not that I won't rest easy with the Super Bowl verdict undetermined, I'm just saying that if the game winds up being a classic, like last year's, I would rather watch it than read about it. Maybe I will wake up at 5am for the ending of the game. Like I said, it's the perfect time to watch the game. I think there are a couple of Americans at the University who will be watching the game at a bar in town, but since the buses aren't running and I would have to be riding my bike at this hour, through this weather, just seems nuts.

Although today was warm and the sun came out for a couple of hours and that was a refreshing break. It really has been rare to see the sun these days, but today it was out and the weather was warm and this is a mixed blessing. The warmer weather means that the packed, but soft snow turns to packed hard and slippery ice. This makes walking a pain in the ass. I mean every step, and if you want to stop walking, you have to begin the slow down a few steps before coming to a complete halt, otherwise you can slip. There is also a large amount of packed, soft snow that sits on top of the roofs, which are all built sloping down so the snow can slide off and not collapse the roof. This makes sense, but when a tidal wave comes sliding off of roof, you do not want to be anywhere near it. That is the only image that came into my head when I saw a wave of snow fall off our roof, over our balcony and onto the piles of snow already on the ground. Some people here park their car right where the snow is destined to fall. I have no idea what they must be thinking.

Well, the game is about to come on. No commercials, which is too bad.

Oh, one last update. The filmmaker Markku who I meet every Monday (with whom I meet) just won the Finnish Oscar or Jussi for best director and his film won best picture. If he is back in J-town tomorrow there will be a celebration.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?