Friday, September 16, 2005

So far the most difficult thing about school is the bed that I am sleeping on. This week I spent my nights with Virpi and Jyrki and they were kind enough to borrow a bed from some friends. But this bed was set on springs and the mattress was about 2 inches thick, which meant that I was sleeping on springs. I didn't really notice the pain until Wednesday at 2pm, when it felt - all of a sudden - that someone had stabbed me with a screwdriver right underneath my shoulder blade and then left the screwdriver there. It hurt when I breathed. It still hurts now, but after a night in my own bed and my own pillow has gone a long way towards curing the pain.

This was the first real week of class and it was very engaging. We have been discussing the essence of managing the arts. The inner forces of aesthetics, ethics and criticism at play with the outer forces of politics, economy and evaluation. Sort of learning the philosophy behind it all. Also discussing the different contexts in which art is discussed and evaluated. Not too much practical know how, but it is the introduction class of arts management when we learn what the hell it is.

Already we have had some very informative guest lecturers and already I can see that this program is highly regarded both inside and out of Finland. Also, one of the more exciting aspects of the class is the fact that I am not only there to learn, but to apply what I learn towards the Film Finland project and already it has yielded a couple of ideas. In October I hope to have something solid in writing regarding the project so that I can begin work now.

My class is made up of me, Sergei, from Russia by way of Chicago and 14 ladies. Most of the ladies are relaxed and easy to be around and talk to, but there are a couple who have a something to prove demeanor and I feel as if there is cat-fight potential on the horizon. Oh well, could be entertaining, and as long as I am not intimately involved, I am ok with a little cattiness.

OK, I lied when I said that the most difficult thing so far is the bed. It is not the bed, it is the train ride back and forth. Already at 5 plus hours, but last night, in a town called Simpele - about an hour or so away from Joensuu, so that I had already been in the train for 4 hours - we were told that the train was to stop in Simpele and remain there until another train passed us, around 40-50 minutes. Now I thought I would be a good student and pick a book out of the Arts Management library and read a little. Well, turns out my selection was horrible at best. So I had nothing to read, and two more hours to sit on the train. So I went to the bar. This is a pattern I hope not to repeat. I have to have a book that is at least decent with me on all train trips, otherwise I could very well lose my mind. Considering I got home at 9 last night and will be here for 48 hours before leaving for Helsinki on another 5+ hour train ride to Karoliina's aunt's house. Well, at least she has a real bed there. "So I got that going for me." Anyone know which movie that's from?

Also, I have chosen not to mention some of the worst news I heard in quite some time. You see, there was this football game that was between the two largest universities in the States, Texas and Ohio State. These two schools are two of the winningest programs in the history of college football dating back to the late 1800's. And in their entire history they had never played against each other, until last week. To add more intrigue to the game, this year both teams were nationally ranked in the Top 10, the game was to be played before 100,000+, at night in Columbus and on primetime national television. In short, this was THE game. And it lived up to its hype, with Texas pulling out a come from behind victory in dramatic fashion. But then I got the news that something went wrong and the game was not recorded and will not be coming my way.

So drastic action needed to be taken and I have secured a copy of the game from a buddy of mine in LA who will send it my way soon. Thank you for TiVo, a wonderful invention.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?