Wednesday, April 05, 2006

I made the worst meal of my life last night. This is not including the meals I made pre-learning how to cook. This was a bonafide screw the pooch attempt at Indian food. For some reason neither K nor I have been able to hit a home run when cooking Indian. To be honest, I don't really know if we've ever gotten on base. (All references to baseball are intentional and painful - Have I mentioned what Finnish baseball is like? Well let's just say they weren't involved in the World Baseball Classic. However, if there were ever a world wide competition of the screwiest version of baseball, played nowhere else but in the country of origin, well then Finland would be tops, specifically the city of Oulu.)

But I digress, I was writing about this god awful dish I tried my hand at. Oh, and I was using baseball references. So anyway, it didn't start out bad, as a matter of fact, things were looking quite good for some time. I was ahead in the count for sure. The sauce was coming together so well, but when I added the beef it all started to go wrong. And then I added two cups of water and drowned everything. I added the water because I was supposed to use Indian yellow split peas, but guess what's hard to find here in Finland, nice guess.

So I substituted potatoes, as per the directions, but not as per the directions, as in not in the directions was the added adjustment for cooking potatoes and not peas. My 3 balls and no strikes count turned full and then, with the bases loaded and 1 out, I hit a ground ball to short and they turned the easy double and my dish just sat there for hours, mocking me. I waited and waited for the potatoes to soak up all that water. Sure I went out and got some real Indian food, but that dish sat there the whole time laughing. Then I threw it out, into one of the largest zip-loc bags ever created, but funnily enough not even the largest zip-loc bag in my house.

Today I made turkey burgers filled with garlic, white onioin and granny smith apples, served with spicy sauteed mushrooms and a nice salad. Yesterday I served up a big, fat, zip-loc bag full of crap.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?