Thursday, October 05, 2006

I am just about to have - most likely, a wholly unappetizing - lunch with Karoliina. It will be the second lunch we have had together since she began her job and the first lunch together since I began mine, yesterday. We are fortunate to be located within 5 minutes walking distance, but unfortunate enough to have only truly pathetic dining options. Think school cafeteria, except expensive.

Yesterday I started a research project - Film Finland - in which I will study the ways and means of neighboring film commissions and develop a suitable model for Finland. I will be working part-time (20hrs/week) and be in school and in Finnish class at the same time. I have no idea how I will manage, but I have the sneaking suspicion that Finnish lessons will lag a bit. One of the added bonuses about this study is that it relates to the topic I have chosen for my thesis. Another added bonus is that I will receive school credit for this work. And the last added bonus is that because I will be working, the wife and I can afford to get our butts to Dallas at the end of the year for a little summer vacation in the winter time.

Gotta go and eat some nasty food. I will report back later.

I'm back and, indeed, the food was nasty. Spinach filled crepes, salad and a slice of bread for what amounts to 10 dollars. Unreal. Lunch with the wife is one thing. Bad, expensive lunch with the wife is totally different.

Other news of note: the fall is in full swing here. Today the sun shone through the clouds for a few minutes on the way to work and that was the first few minutes of sunshine I have seen in at least a week.

Also, the other night the light in our living room went out and when I tried to replace the bulb, it didn't work again. I checked all the wires and connections - but removed the fuse first, so don't worry - and they were all okay. So now we have to call an electrician and live in darkness for a while. Not that living in darkness is so unique; after all, most of Finland lives in darkness for the better part of 4 months, but not in the home. In the summertime this would not have been an issue, but like I said, it ain't summer no more.

That's about it, gotta get back to work.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?